Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tattoo Tuesday - Infinity

So, I was hanging out with a few girlfriends and we got to talking about tattoos. The idea was brought up to get an infinity symbol tattoo representing our friendship. Being friends forever. To infinity. And beyond, if you may. I really got to thinking and I just love the idea behind this simple symbol. Now, when I was in Calculus that was a different story. We all know infinity, the sideways looking 8, refers to a number or variable that doesn't have a limit, being limitless (I think? Math was not my favorite). Nevertheless, this symbol can be translated in many different ways and uses.

I look at it this way - Infinity is a quality of being. It is a characteristic representing never-ending possibilities, eternity, and an everlasting state of existence. The symbol itself is, in my opinion, a great representation of balance, harmony, and unity. Both sides of the infinity symbol are the same and equal. The double infinity symbol is said to stand for combining two everlasting concepts and joining them together to create an even larger amount of endless possibilities.

Infinite [in-fuh-nit] - adj: unbounded or unlimited; boundless, endless, unmeasurable & exceedingly great

Infinity [in-fin-i-tee] - noun: the state of being infinite 

One of my favorite quotes from one of my all-time favorite books deals with the concept of infinity. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is a great book about growing up, finding yourself, and the ups and downs of life. If you haven't read it, I encourage you to do so. It's an easy read, but it is so moving. Although I have many favorite quotes from that book, this is still one of the best - it brought me to tears when I first came across it in my book. It's not as touching unless you read the book. So read it! :)

"...and in that moment, I swear we were infinite."


Happy Tuesday
<3 oohv


1 comment:

  1. my best friend and i almost got the top one!

    http://thewearwithal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete