Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tattoo Tuesday - Pet Peeves

 *Disclaimer: I do not mean to offend anyone with this post. It is just my honest opinion!

This week I decided to take a different approach. Instead of posting my favorites of the week, I am going to talk about my pet peeves when it comes to tattoos. We all know there are people out there who get tattoos just so they have one, people who impulsively decide on a tattoo and people who don't take the time to find a credible tattoo shop. Therefore, these types of people may end up with down right bad tattoos. So here, in my opinion, are some types of tattoos that just bother me and give this type of artwork a bad name altogether.

Your Lover's Name
 First, and foremost, I am really bothered by people who get their significant other's name tattooed on them. No matter how many times you swear you will be together forever, there's still a chance that you might not be. And unless you have been together for quite some time, I think it is ridiculous to even consider getting a tattoo like this. To avoid this mistake, I think it would be better to maybe get something that reminds you of your lover, but definitely not their name. Try explaining that one to your next soul mate.

Profanities
 Why someone would ever get the word "fuck" tattooed on them is beyond me. This can also be said about other swear words and symbols of profanity (i.e., a hand with a middle finger in the air). I understand that people go through rebellious stages and whatnot, but sometimes it wouldn't hurt to think about how that tattoo might offend others.

Tribal Tattoos
I know a lot of people fall under this category, but in my opinion, tribal tattoos are very unoriginal. I know there is a history behind them and how they have roots from within different tribes, but chances are the people getting these types of tattoos do not belong to a tribe. I feel that there really is no meaning behind them because they have been so modernized by society.  I also don't understand why someone would want a solid black design on their body. Why waste space on your skin with some black chunky lines when you can use that space for some REAL artwork?!

Spelling Victim
I'll be the first to admit that I am horrible at spelling, but I double and triple checked the spelling of my tattoos before I got them. Unfortunately, this is a very common mistake in the tattoo industry. Just give your tattoo outline another look before getting under the needle. I promise, it will be the best decision you could make.

Coloring Book Look-Alike
 If your tattoo looks like it has just been traced on your body from a little kid's coloring book, then you have just met the criteria for one of my pet peeves. Unless, of course, you enjoy simple outlines with bold colors and no intricate shading or detail. Something about the combination of a cartoon and flat color does not visually appeal to me.

Invisible Tattoos
 UV tattoos, or "invisible" tattoos, are special tattoos that are created with special ink that is visible under ultraviolet/black lights. If you don't want your tattoo to be visible, why are you getting one?!

The Paragraph
 If it takes me longer than 5 seconds to read your tattoo, then it contains too many words. Don't get me wrong, I love script tattoos. But once they exceed a certain amount of characters, you've gone too far. Just because your favorite song means SO much to you, that does not mean you need to get all of the lyrics tattooed on yourself. If you can't get to the point in a few words, then maybe you should reconsider what you want it to say. 

Inappropriate Use of Body Parts 
 You have all seen or heard of these tattoos that I'm about to discuss. I like to describe this look as "bad taste meets unusual shapes of the body." I don't really have much to say about these tattoos expect for "gross."

Crooked Lines
 You may brag about the fact that you just got your tattoo for a really cheap price, but if its lines are crooked...what do you have to brag about now? There is nothing more unappealing than a tattoo that looks like it was done by a drunken fool. In the long run, paying a little extra for expertise probably wouldn't hurt.

Again, I hope I didn't offend anyone out there! I was just getting bored with doing the same type of thing week after week. Feedback please! And leave any of your own tattoo pet peeves if you'd like.

<3 oohv


5 comments:

  1. Hahaha....agree with all of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha oh man I'm totally with you on this post. But some of these are so horrible that they're funny...like the cat one. Oi vey! I've yet to get a tattoo for that very reason. As much as I like some styles I don't have any real sedimental reason to get one yet and I'd rather have some real good back ground information before I commit my life to one.
    Great post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing that irks me the most is when people tattoo my face on their body. I mean I appreciate fans and all, but some people take it too far. (it's more common of problem than one would think.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, but I think you're missing upside down tattoos. As an artist, it drives me nuts when people come in and ask for me tattoo whatever design on their wrist/forearm facing them. It's upside down, maybe not to you but to everyone looking at you. Haha.

    ReplyDelete