Monday, March 5, 2012

Into the Wild

Lately, I've noticed a change in my lifestyle - a shift away from my girly glamor and back to the basics. I once cared so much about my appearance. I often went on shopping sprees, made sure I "dressed up" every day (even for school), would never be caught without makeup, spent hours catching up on the latest trends, etc. I guess that's what being a Fashion Merchandising major will do to you. Don't get me wrong, I still love what I am studying. I still love fashion, clothing, makeup, accessories, all of it. But, I've learned to tone it down a bit because there is so much more to life than keeping up my appearance. Yes, I can still be fashionable when needed, but I have taken the time to discover a few new passions I never thought I had.

First, I have fallen in love with nature. My boyfriend definitely has played a big role in this change. He helped me awake this side of myself that I never knew existed by taking me on mini hiking trips and journeying through the wilderness. Second, I have found a love for physical activity. I joined a local gym and have created a goal to run a 5k with my cousin this summer. We have only been working out for a little over a month, but I can see the changes and I am happy with how that makes me feel. Third, I enjoy the days that I wear no makeup. It feels absolutely great. In a way, I feel more confident without it.

My latest obsession happened this past weekend when my boyfriend opened my eyes to the rock climbing/bouldering world. Mikey and his friends make it look easy, but when I tried to climb for my first time I can reassure you that it was very difficult. I now appreciate just how much effort and physical strength it takes to climb. Today was my second day on the rock wall and I felt that I slightly improved, but I know that I have a long way to go. My hands hurt like hell and my arms/back are sore, but I can't wait to climb again. Just something about it is calming, satisfying, exhilarating.

Even though it was freezing, Mikey, Dan and I ventured to a retaining wall to climb on Saturday. Because I don't have my own pair of climbing shoes, I was the camera lady. I was completely fine with that because it gave me a chance to take some photos! :)


<3 oohv

No comments:

Post a Comment