Cake Pops ...what are they exactly? Well, the are cake on a stick. And in my opinion, the perfect treat for any occasion. My first encounter with these delicious desserts happened at while at a local Starbucks. I was so intrigued by the idea of them. Since then, I have learned that cake pops are actually a huge trend in the culinary world. At first they can seem a bit intimidating, but in my opinion, they just take a while to create. So make sure you set aside enough time to focus on the "cake pop making process." The best part is you can make them as simple, or as fancy, as you want. They will still taste heavenly!
The first step is to pick a flavor combination. This time I chose a triple chocolate fudge cake mix, chocolate frosting, melted milk chocolate and chopped up Andes mints for decoration.
2. After the cake has cooled, break it up into a bowl so that it is in small pieces. Mix in 2 cups, or about half of the tub of icing. You can use store bought icing, which is what I used, or homemade icing. Again, it's all up to you. (This part is messy, but fun!)
3. Roll this mixture into one-inch balls. They should be able to fit into the palm of your hand. Place them on a tray or plate that is covered with wax paper. Cover them and place them in the refrigerator for an hour or so.
4. For the covering of the cake balls, melt some chocolate, candy melts or white or chocolate wafers according to the instructions. I used used milk chocolate baking chips.
5. Take the lollipop stick and dip one end of it into the melted chocolate. Then take the dipped end and stick it into the bottom of the cake pop. This helps the stick stay in place.
6. Dunk the cake pop into the melted chocolate and gently twirl the stick to remove excess chocolate. Immediately top with sprinkles, crushed up candy, nuts or any garnish of your choice. I used the chopped up Andes mints.
7. You can set the completed pop face down, stick up on a plate or push the stick into small styrofoam blocks, with the stick down and cake pop up.
8. Enjoy! Share with your friends! Impress your family! Try new flavors! Get creative!
My sister was instantly obsessed!
Let me know how your cake pops turn out :)