Friday, October 14, 2011

"Sew" Cool

I am quickly becoming obsessed with my new hobby, sewing. It all started in my Apparel Production class. We began the semester by learning hand stitching techniques and we slowly made our way toward the machines. At first, I did not enjoy the class. I actually dreaded it! Some of my early frustrations included poking myself with the needle, concentrating so hard that my tongue would stick out and constantly failing at threading the machine the correct way. After a few classes of being completely fed up with sewing altogether, something clicked. One morning I was able to do everything that challenged me. I could thread my bobbin. I could pivot the fabric correctly when making a corner. My seams were straight, the tension was correct. Every assignment turned out really well. It takes a lot of patience to sew and when I finally realized that, everything fell into place.

Since the start of the semester, I've learned a handful of skills that I use in almost every project. I bought myself my own sewing machine and created my own little sewing station in my room. Lately, I have been focusing on making these little zipper-pouch makeup bags/pencil cases/change purses. They are fun and easy to make and turn out really cute! Plus, they are very useful. We learned how to make them in class and that's what prompted me to make them at home. I use a DYI I found online, rather than what we learned in class, because it give the bags a more tailed and clean look. Click here if you are interested in trying it yourself!

 






A few people have even asked me to make them bags, so I have! It's a quick way to make a small profit and I really like doing it. I'm thinking of putting them up on Etsy sometime soon, so keep your eye out for the opening of my Etsy shop! Also, if you want one before I do, just contact me. They can be made any length and width you'd want with any type of color or pattern. I'd be happy to answer any request so let me know! :)

<3 oohv

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to learn how to sew for a while. There are so many adorable little crafts like this that look like so much fun, but I've never had the patience for it....maybe over Christmas break I will learn once and for all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing is something that requires a lot of patience and it's amazing to me that I enjoy it so much because I am not the most patient person out there. You should buy a sewing book for beginners and give it a try? :)

    ReplyDelete