Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tattoo Tuesday - Me

So, I've decided that for every Tuesday from now on I'm going to post tattoos that I find interesting, beautiful, creative, meaningful. I find this form of artwork and self expression to be a very unique and personal experience. I got my first tattoo when I was 18. Of course, because my parents were totally against it, I had to wait until I was old enough to pursue it on my own. I have a total of four tattoos and really want to get more work done in the future. Each holds a special meaning in my life and about myself. Tattoos are not for everyone but should be respected by everyone. The personal decision to get something as permanent as a tattoo on your body is YOUR decision. I find it frustrating when others try to question me about my decision of getting tattooed, bring me down for "ruining" my body in such a way and telling me that I will one day regret it. What they don't know is that I carefully thought about each one of my tattoos, I view it as a way of enhancing my body and I will never regret the choice I have made to get inked. With that being said, I'd like to share my very own.

The first is a small peace sign on my left hip. Like I mentioned, I got this one when I was 18 because I finally could! I know it's cliche, but it obviously symbolizes harmony, unity, agreement, serenity, etc. within myself. It was almost my way of saying "peace out" to my years as a child and welcoming adulthood. Very cheesy, I know, but I thought I knew everything about the world back then. It is cute and will always remind me of how fun it was to be young and naive, and to say the least, impulsive.



 My second tattoo is the name of a Bright Eyes song that really hits home for me. The song is titled "Easy.Lucky.Free." and these three words are tattooed on my upper right side. I know there are political references and pessimistic comments throughout the song (if you look at the lyrics), but I don't think that's what it was meant to be about. I took the song as a way of viewing death as a positive experience. It seems that Conor Oberst is making the point that there is nothing really quite easier, freer, luckier.. than death. It's almost like he is talking about an Apocalyptic approach to how the world will end and instead of fearing for the worst, everyone should celebrate.  This all seems very far-fetched, but it's just my interpretation. Every time I think of this tattoo, I think of my positive outlook on life and death.



My third tattoo was the biggest piece I have: my cherry blossom. If I had to pick a favorite thus far, this would be my choice. It took two, two and a half hour sessions to complete and it hurt like hell, but it was completely worth it. It's located on my back and swings around to upper left side of my rib cage. I was going through a rough time in my life when I got this tattoo. I lost a lot of friends, was making major decisions, battling an illness. Just a bunch of little things that added up over a period of time. And I had trouble coping with them. I got the tattoo as a way to put closure on certain parts in my life, and start over new. The cherry blossom was a great symbol of this change because it represents a new beginning. It is also a very significant symbol of power and strength and typically represents a feminine beauty. Because a cherry blossom tree blooms once a year for only a short period of time, it has come to show me that it is important to respect the transience of life.




My last and most recent tattoo isn't as serious as the others. Please try to refrain from laughing at it in general because it's sort of a silly idea. In Northeastern Ohio there is a great bar and restaurant by the name of Melt. It's been featured on the Food Network and I originally heard of it while watching Man vs. Food. This bar specializes in gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches. Crazy, yes, but they are so damn good! You have to eat there to even understand the amount of deliciousness packed into each sandwich. Anyway, the deal is if you get their logo tattooed on your body anywhere, you get to join their "Tattoo Family" and get a 25% discount. FOR LIFE! So yeah, I got a grilled cheese sandwich with crossbones tattooed on my right foot. Some, actually most, people may not think this is worth it at all. That this was a stupid mistake I have made. But I disagree. It's definitely paid itself off. Every time I look at my tattoo I think of all the fun times I've had at Melt.




And there you have it! I want more. If you have a tattoo, you know they're addicting :)
Feel free to message me with any questions, comments, concerns.

<3 oohv

6 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, they are all so beautiful! i wish i was brave enough to get some. :/ lovely blog, chick! you're pretty lovely too. ;)

    love, rach.
    www.so--hi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! its a big decision and it does take some courage, but they're totally worth it. your blog is adorable, such talent and creativity for a younger lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm late, but I wanted to say I really like all your tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha you're always late Kelsey! and thank you, I like yours as well. Especially the feather :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any tattoos, but I love the way you spoke about them in this post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I had no idea you were a tattoo junky. They all look really good (at least as much as you can tell in photos)I got one on my ribs about a year ago that changed my life, but I'm still undecided about getting more.
    Great site btw

    ReplyDelete